Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A little of this, a little of that

First, I'm proud to say that I was the last man (or woman...er, uh, person - to be completely politically correct) standing in my office's NCAA men's basketball bracket contest. How did I do it you ask? Well, let me tell you. Now try to stay with me ... it was a very scientific process involving complex algorithms and years of statistical data. First, I printed off a blank bracket. Last, I arbitrarily picked winners, round by round, region by region. That's it. I didn't do any "research" on the teams. I hadn't been following college basketball prior to making my selections. I just picked who I thought would win each matchup based on, well, nothing really. A couple of my noteworthy choices included not having Kansas in the Final Four and picking Duke as the tournament champion. As a reward for my outstanding predictions, I get the lunch of my choice courtesy of the unfortunate souls who fell victim to my athletic aptitude. Yay me! :o)

Next on the agenda ... the countdown. DUN-Dun-dun

I am 30 weeks today!! Only 10 to go. In other terms, that's just 70 days, 1680 hours, 100,800 minutes, or 6,048,000 seconds. 6,047,999. 6,047,998. 6,047,997. You get the idea. Basically, I can't wait!! Not only am I ready to meet my little angel, but I'm also majorly looking forward to not being pregnant anymore. Now I know all of you already-mommies out there are thinking "oh, honey, you don't even know yet!" But after last night, I seriously want this kid out of me! Yesterday was Cory's first day of work, so he was pretty worn out and we decided to go to bed a little earlier than normal. We were laying there watching the Duike/Butler game (as you know, I had a vested interest) and I honestly thought this little girl was going to come bursting through my abdomen. I can't imagine what she was doing in there!! I kept making odd noises and I'm pretty sure Cory thought I was either dying or going into labor. It wasn't really painful ... just SUPER uncomfortable. I changed positions a hundred times before she finally settled down. I don't know how many more episodes like that I can handle, but hopefully as her quarters get more cramped, her ability to practice hip hop will diminish.

And since I mentioned labor, I have to say congratulations to our friends Chance and Mamie on the arrival of their little boy early, early this morning (12:45 a.m. to be exact). I can't wait to meet him! They are the first in a long line of friends expecting babies over the next couple of months. Our group get-togethers are about to get a lot more interesting ... or a lot less frequent ... now that we're all expanding our families. But either way, it's totally worth it!

2 comments:

Derrick & Jen said...

Lots of moms have told me, as some may have told you, "Oh you'll miss being pregnant once you have the baby". I called bullshit on that one LOL. I didn't miss being pregnant. I enjoyed my pregnancies, but once the kids were out, I was so glad to have my body back to myself lol. I was just so happy to finally hold them in my arms and think to myself "gosh, I can't believe I helped make this small child". Even though her quarters are going to get more cramped, she's still, oddly enough, is going to have some room in there to practice her hip hop lol. Riley kicked the shit out of me so much in the end haha.
Derrick & I are so excited for y'all! We can't wait to meet her! I'm hoping that I'll be able to join Derrick in TX when he goes to visit before he leaves.

Ashley S. said...

I generally want to punch each and every person in the face who says "Just wait until..." And it doesn't stop after birth either! So don't worry, I would never say that to you.
It'll be weird when you get to the last weeks. She'll have less room to move around, so the appendage jabbing will happen. That's when you're sitting there and suddenly her leg starts pushing your stomach outwards. It's crazy weird. But you can totally push it back in and be fine.
Congrats on winning the bracket contest!