Monday, March 8, 2010

Words of love

Do you ever have those times when you just can't adequately express in words what you feel on the inside? That's what I experienced all weekend as Cory and I celebrated our anniversary. We decided early on that we weren't going to buy gifts for each other, but rather we were just going to go out for a nice dinner and maybe catch a show (something live, not a movie). Cory asked me if I would be ok with just letting him plan it so I would be surprised about where we were going, and I was happy to oblige! Go for it, honey! And with that, the wheels were turning.

My Saturday ... a.k.a. our date day (since Sunday was actually our anniversary) ... was particularly busy. Before our date, I had a baby shower to attend in Irving. This should've been completely routine - drive 45 minutes, eat some yummy food and drink some yummy punch, oooh and aww over precious little baby things, drive back, and done! But ... I'm sad to say it was not that easy. I had no idea that the highway I was planning to take most of the way was closed all weekend for construction so in the blink of an eye I went from free-and-clear traffic conditions to completely jammed up. Hello detour. I managed to work my way over, albeit slowly, to another northbound route to get me to Irving and called the mommy-to-be (who lives in Fort Worth) in the mean time to make sure she wasn't planning to take that route too. I would've hated for her to be late to her own shower! And, alas, I made it there ... almost on time even!

I only got to stay long enough to eat and chit chat a little, but had to leave before any of the aforementioned ooohing and awwing over gifts began. And it's a good thing I left when I did because I had traffic troubles on the way back too. Ever heard of a little place called Traders Village? Uh, let's just say getting caught in the Saturday afternoon traffic around that place is grand. NOT! Knowing it was going to be a busy day, though, I planned to wear to the shower what I wanted to wear out later that evening, so luckily all I had to do was get home in time to leave and make it to our dinner reservations in downtown Fort Worth (which I did with about 10 minutes to spare). WHEW!

Anyway, I say all of that just to get to how awesome my husband is. When I walked in the door after coping with all the road delays, I was worn out and not in the happiest of states. But the night was just as important to me as I knew it was to him, and I assured him I'd perk up in no time. "No time" as it turns out is exactly how long it took too. Even though we said we weren't going to get each other anything, Cory broke the rule and had a small gift bag on the counter for me that I had somehow missed when I came in ... probably a result of that whole "worn out and unhappy" biz.

He had researched online that the first anniversary is commemorated with a gift of paper so he got me a small assortment of things (like scrapbook photo mats), but the best of all was a fairly lengthy letter that I took with me to read in the car since we were pressed for time. It said all the things that I always feel, but never seem to have the words to describe. It completely calmed the anxiety I had been feeling about the addition to our family by reminding me that no matter what, we aren't alone when it comes to parenting our kids. We are a team and we'll always have the other one there to do life with. I started to think back over all the things we've been through this past year and it reminded me of the vows we took ... "for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health..." It's been an eventful year for us, to say the least, and we've already dealt with a lot of things we never expected, but we've managed to get through it all ... side-by-side ... and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I love you with all my heart, Cory Baker, and I'm so thankful you picked me to be your wife!  Something tells me that this next year is going to be as full of memories as the last ... and then some! 

No comments: