Friday, March 5, 2010

In my dreams

Did you hear (or see)? Jim and Pam had their baby!

Confused? I'm talking about The Office. Now, I know it's just a situational comedy, but reality started to really sink in as I watched what Jim and Pam went through on last night's episode. There were people constantly hovering over them who needed to back off. When it was time to go to the hospital, Pam began to freak out about her ability to give birth, be a mother, and who knows what else and refused to go until finally her contractions were 2 minutes apart and not going wasn't an option anymore. Breastfeeding was a struggle. They were scared to leave the hospital, and then to top it off, they finally got home and Dwight was in the process of "remodeling" their kitchen. Just what brand new parents want to deal with upon arriving home with their precious new life. Of course, that scenario is a little extreme compared to real life.

But the reality is that having a baby comes with a long list of unique challenges and nothing in the world can completely prepare you to deal with all of them. After the show was over and I was in bed, my mind just wouldn't slow down. I felt my nerves taking over. I found myself wishing I had more time ... more than the 3 months I've got left ... to read books and articles, talk to seasoned moms, and do anything else possible to get us prepared for this life-changing experience.

Cory could instantly tell something was bothering me when I started getting ready for bed so I explained my anxiety. He reminded me of all the things we've both done so far to prepare and about the fact that she's not going to be here tomorrow ... there is still time to learn even more. He also made the great point that there is no one right way to raise a child, so we will just have to wait until she's here and figure out what works best for us. Good advice.

I dreamed all night about being in labor and going through all the same things Pam went through. This isn't the first time I've dreamed about being in labor, but I'm not surprised that my dreams mirrored what I had just watched on TV. I was so tired when I woke up this morning. I mean seriously, who wants to live through labor countless times in their sleep?! Not this momma! But my nerves have calmed down and some of my confidence about being a mother is coming back. Now I've just got to take advantage of the time I've got left to get ready and patiently wait for our angel to arrive.

2 comments:

The Jones Family! said...

Aw, you're going to be GREAT parents!!!! Just think, you are SO normal in you're thinking. I did that with Aidan and it was totally not what I thought but I remember being totally open and flexible (like Cory's wise advice) and it went well. :) You are already steps ahead!! Just think, even mom's with more kids feel the same way all over again (like me) with each kiddo. That's what makes it an adventure right!? haha. Love you and can't wait to see your journey unfold.

Ps. I definitely learned that Josh will be the one to handle and turn down visitors...haha. When you were describing that episode I thought, that's exactly what happened to us! haha I will definitely be more strict in that area bc. my hormones will be a ball of a mess.

Sara said...

A word of wisdom from this (kind-of) seasoned mother, you are NEVER ready! No amount of books, articles, or advice will ever be enough to prepare you guys for the WONDERFUL change that's about to happen. You're gonna experience pain & discomfort (not just in childbirth) like you've never felt, but you're also gonna experience LOVE like you've never felt - and that makes it ALL worth it! Just sit back and enjoy the ride! :)