Saturday, May 22, 2010

Got water?

No?  I sure do ... plenty to spare in fact.  I'm practically carrying Hurricane Harbor around in my belly (and legs, ankles, and feet).  I know, you're probably confused now so let me explain. 

At my doctor's appointment yesterday, I stepped on the scale ... and then almost immediately fell off because I had gained SEVEN pounds ... in TWO weeks!!  Wow, right?!  I know.  I was floored.  When the doctor saw it written in the chart, he paused, turned and looked at me, then back at the chart, then back at me as though he didn't believe it because it doesn't show on the rest of my body.  I asked if maybe I'd just eaten one too many pieces of cake, but he didn't think so.  He took a look at my legs and ankles and assessed that 5 of those 7 pounds were from water.  Not so bad since I'll shed it really quickly after she's born.

When I laid back for him to measure my belly, the measuring tape said 40.  Uh, really?  I'm only 36 1/2 weeks.  Why is my belly measuring 40?  He was certainly as curious as I was, so off to the sonogram room we went to get good measurements.  Well, it turns out that Savannah isn't measuring 40 weeks yet ... thank goodness!!  She's actually measuring right on track between 36 and 37 weeks.  He predicted that she already weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz., though ... so if I make it to 40 weeks, she's gonna be a chunk!

During the sono, he noticed an increased amount of amniotic fluid, though, so he measured it too.  He said I'm borderline polyhydramnios which is just the fancy term for having too much amniotic fluid.  There are lots of causes, but about 65% of all cases are unexplained.  He checked all the things that could be potential problems, like if she wasn't swallowing or if some of her organs weren't working right, but everything looked fine.  He wasn't concerned about it at this point, so neither am I.  In fact, I'm just on the cusp of it, I'm not actually over the threshold so that's good to know too.

I asked if it could possibly cause me to go into labor before 40 weeks and he said there was a chance, but couldn't quantify it.  If that happens, it's basically just my body looking at the fluid level and saying "ok, I'm done."  I'll have a sono next week to see if it's changed at all.

1 comment:

ang said...

hahaha man you, tisha, and your precious little chunks! :D

When I read that she was already 6 15 oz I stopped to re-read it! Cadence was only 6 pounds .75 ounces (same as me) when she was born!

Crazy awesome how different we all are :)