Friday, January 22, 2010

SCORE: Me: 1, Surgery Center o' Terror: 0

You know what they say ... you win some, you lose some. But today I got the call that essentially said, "Sena, you won!"

You might remember my unfortunate surgery experience back in November. Well, once the medical bills started arriving, it turned out that I was responsible to pay almost $500 for the infamous emergency room visit that never should have been. I have been adamant from the beginning that I would do everything in my power to have the Mansfield Surgery Center, aka the Surgery Center o' Terror, pay these bills since ... well, let's face it ... it was their fault I had to go to the ER.

The process involved some administrative dude at the center "gathering all the necessary information" to present to the Board of Directors who then had to vote on whether or not to pay. After being put off for weeks due to rescheduled meetings, I took my seriousness up a notch and contacted an attorney. She advised me to send a letter the board outlining the following:

  1. I had consulted an attorney.
  2. I wanted to resolve the issue amicably.
  3. Time was of the essence.
  4. I would proceed with formal legal action if I did not receive an answer in 5 business days.
  5. I only wanted them to pay the bills I incurred as a result of their negligence; I was not seeking any additional damages (i.e. pain and suffering).
So that letter was written and faxed to the center in addition to being sent regular and certified mail. It took no more than half an hour post-fax to receive a panicked phone call from administrative dude. I honestly think he was testing me to see if I would be apologetic for taking such stern action or if I was actually serious. I stood my ground and made it abundantly clear that I needed an answer within the stated 5-day time frame. Mom and dad would be so proud!

Administrative dude informed me that a board meeting was scheduled for Thursday the 21st (which was yesterday), and he would let me know the decision first thing the next morning (today). I anxiously awaited the call which came around 9 o'clock. He said the board voted unanimously to "take care of it for me." Good job, that's the right answer! All I have to do is get them the actual bills I've received, and they will submit the payments. WOOHOO!! I guess a more accurate title for this post would be "SCORE: Me: $0, Surgery Center o' Terror: -$438.34".

So, victory is mine! At least for today.  And what's the lesson here kids? Calling a lawyer really does get things done faster.

No comments: