Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The gender verdict

Today was a big day at the doctor's office. Although it took a loooooooong time to finally get called back for my sonogram ... I'm talking an hour and a half ... it was well worth the wait.

The nurse came and got me pretty early initially, but just to weigh in and have my vitals taken. I'm proud to say I've gained 4 pounds total, so I'm right on track in that department. Hopefully if I did any true damage with the junk I ate over Christmas, I can undo it before it shows its presence on the scale next month.

Then came the waiting game. Apparently everyone was schedule for the sonogram machine today, so I had to patiently wait my turn. I was really starting to get anxious and frustrated with they finally came back and got me again. Dr. Daum greeted us in the sono room and was ready to go fishing (quite literally) for gender evidence. What started as an abdominal ultrasound eventually turned into the ... *ahem* ... other type of ultrasound. The little booger was being too modest to show the goods the easy way. But, lo and behold, the ultrasound wand finally found the treasure buried under the umbilical cord to reveal ... a girl!!!

She was squirming all over the place, but mostly not in the right direction to get any shots that the untrained eye could really decipher. Plus she was breech and the cord went between her legs making it harder to get the money shot. But Dr. Daum was persistent, gently prodding her with the wand until she turned just the right way, at which point he said, "I'm 100% sure, those parts are of the female persuasion."

He did his best to point it out to us. I could see what he saw, but I think Cory was too much in denial to really accept the doc's certainty. *wink* Get ready, dad, you're gonna have a daughter!

Everything else looked great he said, and I'll have another sono at 26 weeks where we should be able to get some good images of all her cute little features. Until then, I'll be shopping for bedding and other nursery decor and helping Cory adjust to the idea of having a little girl.

1 comment:

Derrick & Jen said...

We didn't find out til maybe 20 or so weeks that we were having a girl and it took FOREVER to get Derrick to adjust to the idea of having a little girl too haha
Derrick & I are so happy for y'all!!!