Friday, December 4, 2009

Back to blogging after a not-so-fun couple of weeks

So it’s been a little while since I’ve blogged … I know. I’ve had a few things to deal with though, so my absence is justified I think. Most of you are aware that I had surgery two weeks ago, and wow, was it unexpected for me. I’ll spare you all the gory details, but let’s just say it’s not something I EVER want to experience again.

Possibly the most atrocious event to occur post-op was the fact that the Mansfield Surgery Center (yes, I’m naming them by name so that all will run the other way in terror at the thought of having any procedure performed there) discharged me LONG before I was ready to be discharged. My surgeon and anesthesiologist had given very clear orders about how long I was to remain in recovery before being sent home, but along comes some random nurse with my bag of clothes who helped me get dressed and wheeled me out to the car where Cory was waiting for me. If I’d had my wits about me, I would have definitely questioned it, but I figured, “Hey, they’re the medical experts, right?!?!”

So as it turns out, because of this blunder, I ended up having to make a trip to the emergency room 6 hours later because I couldn’t empty my bladder. Ironically, this is one of the things the nurse in question failed to make sure I could do before sending me home. Lovely, huh? Going to the ER was the last thing I needed considering I was in excruciating pain, but it had to be done. Thank you, random nurse, for making a bad situation worse.

Five days after my surgery, I called my doctor to chit-chat about what had happened because, frankly, I was not willing to pay an ER bill that I never should’ve had in the first place. My doctor was completely apologetic about the whole situation and went on to inform me that the nurse who had wrongly discharged me had consequently been discharged from her duties as an RN at the Mansfield Surgery Center. WOW!

Thankfully, though, it’s been two weeks since the surgery, and I’m recovering as expected now. Not to say it hasn’t been a challenge, but we’ve managed. The day of and after my surgery my parents were here to help which turned out to be a God-send. I don’t think we could’ve made it through that first day without them. Cory has taken sensational care of me since, and I’m so thankful for him.

As terrible as all of this was on its own (and believe me, it was pretty terrible), I had the added stress of going through it pregnant. You other mommies and mommies-to-be know that anything and everything you put in your body during pregnancy can be a potential hazard. Even medications deemed “safe during pregnancy” carry a small risk. So it was a little unnerving, to say the least, to undergo anesthesia, get a dose of morphine, and be given a prescription for vicodin during the whole ordeal. Every medical professional along the way, including my OB, assured me that everything would be fine, and after my appointment on Tuesday, their claims seemed to be confirmed! :o)

Our honeybun is growing perfectly, and we brought home plenty of evidence in the form of sonogram pictures to prove it. Here’s my favorite … our little mooner.



We’ll find out on the 29th if it’s a boy or girl!!! Doc was leaning towards girl after what he saw this go ‘round. :o) So, we’ll see!! Stay tuned.