Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Five months

Everyone is sleeping.  My house is quiet except for the tapping of my fingers on the keyboard.  I'm going to catch up on my blog.  Lucky for you, my friends!

So today, Savannah is one short month away from being a whole half of a year old. *bittersweet sigh*  She weighed in at 15.2 lbs and measured 25 1/2 inches long today.  Isn't she getting so big?!?!  Mercy!




Here's what's new with her since last month:

I've determined that the source of her otherwise unexplainable crabbiness of late is teething.  She's not sleeping as well at night and really struggles going down for naps during the day.  She's chewing on everything and loves for me to massage her gums with infant tooth/gum cleanser.  There's no swelling that I can see, but Orajel stops her screaming instantly, so I can only guess that she's hurting.  We've been so fortunate in all the other typically difficult areas, but I suppose it was time for her to be a challenge with something and it looks like teething is the winner.  Hooray.

She's been eating solids for several weeks now and is getting really good at the whole "open mouth, swallow food" concept.  Hardly any gets pushed out by her tongue anymore.  In addition to baby rice and oatmeal, she's tried squash, sweet potatoes, and apples.  The veggies were a big hit.  Yesterday was her first taste of apples.  She ate 'em, but I wouldn't say she loved 'em.  She made the bitter-beer face a few times, so I guess it was a little tart.  I hadn't planned to introduce any fruits this early...I wanted to get her through the main veggies first so she wouldn't be put off by them after tasting the sweet stuff, but her little tummy seemed to be having trouble adjusting, so I thought a little fiber boost would be good.  Plus, she hasn't refused anything yet, so with any luck she won't be the picky eater that her Momma is. 

On the subject of baby food, I've tried my hand at making some of her food...so far just sweet potatoes and applesauce...and it's super easy, so I'm hereby publicly devoting myself to making all of her baby food from scratch for a while.  It's not so much a "I wanna be a super-mom" thing as it is a "I wanna save money" thing. 

As of October 19th, she's officially a one-way roller-over-er.  She can flip from tummy to back like nobody's business.  Going the other way, though...eh, she's not really interested.  She just goes from side to side.  We'll keep practicing though and she'll do it when she's ready.  She spins herself around when she's on her tummy...if she could get her knees under her I swear she'd be scooting all over the place.  Lord help me when that day comes.  I like that I can lay her on the floor and walk out of the room briefly and come back to find her in the same place. 

Goodness.  She got active over the past month.  Seemed like there for a while I had nothing much new to report, and now suddenly I'm able to write a short novel about my sweet baby.  So there you have it.  On with the sixth month of life we go!

No comments: