Friday, July 23, 2010

Liquid Gold

This morning ... I cried over spilled milk. 

I was multi-tasking - pumping while putting on make-up - in order to get out the door in a timely manner for my last day of work before becoming an official stay-at-home mom.  When I was finished, I went to unscrew the storage bottle from the shield, and somehow, as I started to put the bottle back down on the counter, it tipped over.  *tear*

I consider breastmilk to be liquid gold.  I would guess most moms do too.  Each and every drop is nearly priceless not only because of the nutrition it provides your growing baby, but also because mothers tend to obsess over making enough milk to satisfy their children.  "Wasting" even the tiniest amount is heart-breaking.

If I have to look at this from a "glass is half full" perspective, only about half an ounce spilled.  But, still, that's half an ounce that Savannah probably would've been interested in drinking come breakfast time. 

I've learned my lesson.  Pumping is a not a multi-task approved activity.  And anyone who has ever told you not to cry over spilled milk has obviously never been a breastfeeding mother.

3 comments:

Ashley S. said...

I never pumped while multitasking, but totally nursed while doing other things. Every morning while Jake was still nursing, I'd get breakfast ready (usually thick oatmeal to avoid spillage) and get him up. While he was eating, I'd eat breakfast and put on make-up. Ready to go when he was! Make the most of your time, sis!

The Jones Family! said...

Couldn't agree more! haha. I have spilled it before too and oh my, it's heartbreaking. ;) I too call it "liquid gold." :)

chrisandtif said...

It is liquid gold!!!