Friday, July 16, 2010

I have a new appreciation...

...for poop.  It's true.  Never in my life did I think I would be so concerned about the bodily functions of another person.  But that all changed after having a baby.  (NOTE: that baby is why I haven't been able to blog regularly ... thus this late-breaking story).  So, back to the poop scoop.  A couple of weeks ago, while going about the routine motherly tasks that now occupy my days (and nights), I noticed that Savannah had gone through a couple of diaper changes without being dirty.  Very unusual for her at that time.  After it caught my eye, I started getting worried and wondered why the change.  We waited in anticipation for each diaper change to see if the status had changed ... we employed some age-old techniques to try and encourage her along ... anything and everything to try to help.  By bedtime, Cory and I had one conversatioal subject ... POOP.  It had been long enough that Savannah was pretty cranky with the whole thing.  I didn't know if there was really something wrong or what.  I busted out my books to read about baby constipation which I determined probably wasn't the problem.  In case you're wondering, it noted that infrequency and straining were not a sign of constipation in an infant.  Our pediatrician gave us a vitamin D supplement that also had iron that I'd recently started giving her so I though maybe that was the cause.  In any event, we were up until around 4 a.m. when things finally got moving ... if you know what I mean.  I'd never been so relieved!!  And I'd venture to say that neither had Savannah!!

That concludes this scoop on poop, but I can't rightly post a blog without including a picture of our little squirt.  So without further ado ... the sleeping beauty:

1 comment:

Ashley S. said...

I don't remember when it was... maybe around 3-4 months... when Jake just stopped pooping much at all. He would go maybe once or twice a week. It was wonderful! It stayed that way until we started adding food to his diet. Their digestive systems just change and shift periodically. Nothing to be concerned about usually. Just enjoy the poop gaps! :)