Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Resolutions

I've never really been big on New Year's resolutions, but for whatever reason I set a few this year.  I didn't agonized over what they would be, but as 2010 was coming to a close, several things had come to mind that I thought I'd like to accomplish this year - and in doing so - perhaps create some positive habits that will carry on long after the newness of the resolution itself was gone.

1.  Lose weight.

I know, so cliche, right?  But really, I had about 7 pounds lingering that didn't exist before having Savannah...and truth be told...I wasn't in peak physical condition prior to her conception.  But considering I gain 43 pounds during pregnancy, I felt fortunate that only 7 didn't disappear on their own.  So, on my birthday actually, I started following the weight watchers plan and am proud to say that I've lost 11 pounds in 6 weeks.  (Saying that felt a little too much like a bad commercial. lol)  If I exercised I'm sure I'd be a little further along, but I figure the running around I do toting a child is workout enough.  So....so far so good with resolution #1.  I'm well on my way to my goal since I instituted it before 1-1-11.

2.  Stick to a set budget.

Cliche again.  I can't help it though.  Cory and I are horrible with budgets.  We try and try, but always fail.  We are really bad about telling each other no when it comes to splurging on this or that.  But we have a few things we want to get paid off, so we planned and set a fairly strict CASH budget for ourselves.  It's the Dave Ramsey method, only I didn't waste money on his books, I just used my own smarts.  It's amazing how much money you can save by not indiscriminately swiping your debit card.  So far so good on this one too, and although it's early, I'm very hopeful about our success.

3.  Read one book per month (at least).

I hate admitting it, but growing up I definitely didn't have the love of reading that my mom and brother had and still have.  But back in the fall, at the suggestion of a friend from high school, I picked up The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  A teen-read, sure, but utterly fantastic.  Now, as part of my actual resolution, I'm working on the Twilight books, which are especially thrilling because I haven't seen the films.  No, I haven't been living under a rock, I just never saw the intrigue......until now. ;-)  I finished Twilight and started New Moon yesterday.  That's why I said "at least" since I'm ahead of my quota after just 10 days.  After Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, my list is empty...suggestions anyone?

4.  ???????

There is a fourth, but putting it out there for all to know kinda takes its meaning away.  So I'll keep it to myself, but know that I am also succeeding with it, just like the others. 

There you have it.  2011 is off to a great start for the Bakers!  Wishing all the best to you as well, faithful readers.

1 comment:

The Jones Family! said...

Pretty sure our resolutions have matched up (minus the reading one..haha). We do Dave Ramsey (cash method) and it's working so far. We like it. AND...my suggestion for next book(s) is the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers (or Redeeming Love by her) She is my favorite author. ;)